Since 2002 the WGC has granted over $500,000 to programs that benefit women and girls in Howard County.
The WGC is a fund that gives grants … it’s what we do!
Last year we gave $50,000 in grants to 5 nonprofits to empower women and girls. This year we will continue to fund:
- JA Rising Women – our multi-year grant supporting a 13 week after-school entrepreneurship program for girls grades 8-12, in partnership with Junior Achievement.
- Girl Power! – a one day STEM expo for middle and high school girls, in partnership with the Applied Physics Lab and the Maryland Space Business Roundtable.
- Journey Camp for Girls – a week-long summer leadership camp for girls entering 8th and 9th grade, in partnership with Maryland Leadership Workshop.
Continuing Education for Women – a women’s scholarship program, providing financial aid to women seeking job-related courses, in partnership with Howard Community College.
New! This year we will be issuing an RFP (Request for Proposal) to fund programs that benefit women and girls in Howard County – keep an eye out!
Coming Soon! We’ll soon be funding nonprofit partners through our updated WGC Emergency Response Network (ERN) – stay tuned!
- The WGC’s grant focus is on programs that increase the life skills of women and girls, encourage the healthy development and personal authority of young girls and raise the awareness of gender disparities in our community. The WGC is an endowed fund at the Community Foundation of Howard County, a portion of each donation made to the WGC goes to the endowment to ensure that there will be money to fund programs that benefit women and girls in perpetuity.
- WGC does not accept grant proposals. Instead, WGC proactively identifies issues it wants to address and invests grant dollars in projects and programs for maximum impact.
- WGC works in partnership with other institutions and organizations to advance its mission and address the needs of women and girls, as well as making grants to fund programs.
- Education-based philanthropy is the cornerstone of the WGC’s grantmaking, thus WGC sponsors and co-sponsors programs, events and activities that advance understanding of the issues affecting women and girls in Howard County.